- Properly install car seats and boosters:
- From birth to 12 months old babies should always ride in a rear-facing car seat.
- From ages 4-7, children should be strapped into a forward-facing car seat. Use a booster seat until they are grown enough to use an adult seat belt.
- Keep children in the backseat at least through the age of 12.
Wear a seat belt:
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, seat belts save nearly 15,000 lives every year.
- Seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45%.
- Seatbelts ensure that you stay inside the vehicle and prevent you from colliding with the dashboard, steering wheel, windshield and any other parts of your car. Seatbelts also deaccelerate your body.
- Wearing a seatbelt can save you money:
- Lowers car insurance premiums.
- Reduces potential healthcare costs.
- You won’t be at risk of a getting seat belt ticket.
Do not text and drive:
- Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from car accidents caused by texting while driving.
- 1 out of 4 car accidents in the U.S. is caused by texting while driving.
- 35% of teen drivers admit to texting and driving.
- You put yourself and others in danger by texting and driving, so don’t do it.
Do not get distracted while driving:
- Do not eat and drive.
- Do not put on makeup and drive.
- Do not get distracted by people, billboards, or other distractions on the side of the road.
- Keep the radio volume at a reasonable level.
- Select music, make cell phone calls, and set your vehicle’s route on the navigation system before you leave. If you do these things before you leave then you’ll be able to focus all your attention on the road.
Keep these things in your car at all times:
- Jumper cables
- Car battery charger
- First aid kit
- Carjack and spare tire
- An extra quart of motor oil
- Snow shovel
- Fire extinguisher
If you or someone you know have been injured in a car accident due to another persons negligence, contact an attorney at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers for a free consultation and let us help you get the compensation you deserve.