Lime scooters have become a popular mode of transportation in many large cities across the country, including around the Boston area. Residents and tourists commonly use electric scooters as an alternative to driving, walking, or taking public transportation.
Unfortunately, with the rise in popularity of Lime e-scooters comes an increase in the number of injuries and collisions involving these vehicles. Reports indicate that from 2017 through 2021, an estimated 117,600 people visited the emergency room for e-scooter-related injuries.
The team at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers is experienced in handling accident claims involving Lime e-scooters. These types of cases can be complicated, which is why it is best not to handle them on your own.
Better Phone Stone® today to schedule your no-obligation, free case evaluation. Call us 24/7 at 800-577-5188. You can also fill out our contact form with your name, email, and phone number.
What Are Lime E-Scooters?
The Lime transportation company was founded at the beginning of 2017. Their first location was at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro. The company has greatly expanded since then, and Lime scooters can now be rented in cities around the world.
If you are in one of the cities where Lime scooters are available, you can download and use the company’s app on your smartphone to find and rent an available scooter. How much you pay will depend on the location and time of use.
You are charged a fixed rate to unlock the vehicle and then per minute to ride. Once you are done riding the Lime e-scooter, you use the app to end your ride. Payment is then deducted from your credit card.
Lime Scooter Safety Issues
As the popularity of Lime scooters has grown, so have the safety concerns involving them. The following are some of the reasons why Lime scooters may be dangerous:
- Lack of safety regulations: Unlike other vehicles, there are few laws regulating the use of electric scooters. This means riders can rent a scooter without any prior experience or training period. Since riders pay by the minute, they may not want to use their time learning how the scooter works before taking off.
- Defective parts: Lime scooters have been in the news for reports of accidents caused by defective parts and vehicle malfunction. For example, one model of Lime scooter had issues with excessive brake force and the front wheel locking. Other issues have involved the scooter’s battery having the potential to catch fire.
- Weak headlights: The headlights on e-scooters are not very bright, making them less visible to drivers. Additionally, weak headlights mean riders may have difficulty seeing the pathway, vehicles, and pedestrians in front of them.
- Poor instructions: When you rent a Lime scooter, you are not provided with much instruction on how to use the device. You more or less are left to figure it out on your own. Without proper instructions, riders may not know how to brake, steer, or control the e-scooter.
Types of Massachusetts Lime Scooter Accidents
Jason Stone Injury Lawyers has experience handling many different types of Massachusetts electric scooter accident cases. We may be able to help you with the following, among others.
Pedestrian electric scooter accidents
Lime scooter accidents involving pedestrians are usually the most severe. Pedestrians on public sidewalks, walkways, and roads can be seriously injured or killed if hit by an e-scooter.
However, riders are not always automatically or completely to blame for accidents with pedestrians. In some situations, pedestrians are distracted or oblivious to their surroundings and walk right in the way of an oncoming scooter.
Single-vehicle e-scooter accidents
The majority of electric scooter accidents only involve the rider. Some single-vehicle accidents are a result of driver error. However, others are caused by vehicle malfunction, poorly maintained roadways, or other people and drivers.
Trip-and-fall Lime scooter accidents
Lime scooters do not always have to be returned to docking stations; they can be left at numerous locations throughout the city. While convenient for riders, e-scooters are often left scattered on busy sidewalks. This results in many pedestrians tripping and falling over scooters abandoned on the sidewalk or roadway.
Collisions involving Lime e-scooters and cars
Since electric scooters are small, they may not be clearly visible to other vehicles sharing the roadway. When a car and an e-scooter collide, it is typically the rider who is injured while the driver of the passenger vehicle is relatively unharmed.
Another type of accident involving Lime scooters and cars happens when a person in a parked vehicle opens the door in the pathway of an approaching rider. Such a “dooring” accident can happen suddenly, leaving an e-scooter rider without time to avoid a collision.
How a Massachusetts Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a Lime electric scooter accident, it is important to have a personal injury attorney on your side, ready to protect your legal rights.
When you hire our law firm to represent your Lime scooter accident case, you can count on us to:
- Complete a thorough investigation of your Massachusetts Lime scooter accident
- Gather evidence such as video surveillance footage, medical records, police reports, and eyewitness statements
- Answer your questions and address any concerns you may have
- Consult accident reconstructionist, law enforcement, medical professionals, engineers, and other experts as needed
- Determine the cause of your accident and identify all liable parties
- Handle all communication and negotiation with the insurance company
- Defend against allegations that you caused or contributed to the accident
- Litigate your case in court if necessary
For the best results after being injured in an electric scooter accident, we recommend against handling the case on your own. As your Lime scooter accident lawyers, our goal will be to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Types of Damages Available to Lime Scooter Accident Victims
Massachusetts Lime e-scooter accident victims are entitled to file a claim or lawsuit and pursue compensation for their losses.
Depending on the extent of your injuries and the cause of your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment
- Wrongful death
Unfortunately, the insurance companies and lawyers representing the Lime scooter company will look for ways to reduce or deny your claim altogether. An experienced scooter accident lawyer will know what steps are needed to build a solid case that can secure a fair settlement for your injuries.
Contact a Massachusetts Lime Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
Whether your accident was caused by another motor vehicle, a pedestrian, or poor road conditions, you may be entitled to compensation. The scooter accident attorneys at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers are prepared to advocate for your best interests. You should not have to pay the price of someone else’s negligence after a severe crash.
Jason Stone Injury Lawyers takes every case on a contingency basis. There are no upfront costs or hidden fees for our legal assistance. We only get paid if your case is successful and you are awarded a settlement.
Our law firm has been representing clients in personal injury cases in Boston and throughout Massachusetts since 2004. We know what is needed to ensure you recover just and fair compensation for your losses.
Do not hesitate to reach out to us for legal advice and assistance. There’s No Obligation, Just Information® when you contact us.
Better Phone Stone® today at 800-577-5188 to schedule a free consultation at a time and location convenient to you. You can also opt for a phone or video conference call – choose the method you prefer.