When you suffer severe injuries in a devastating car accident, you want an attorney on your side that will fight for your right to compensation. You can find one in your area with a quick online search. However, how do you know you have the right one? Car accidents make up a vast majority of personal injury law claims. Therefore, many personal injury lawyers specialize in car accident cases. You want one with extensive experience and proven success. Then, you will find everything you need to know during a no-obligation case review, where you can discuss the case and get the lawyer’s opinion about the legal options available. However, first, consider what they do and how it benefits you.
What Does a Car Crash Lawyer Do?
Car crash lawyers represent victims of personal injuries caused by negligent drivers. These cases can be complex based on several factors, but lawyers who work with car crash victims in your area are familiar with the laws that govern these cases and can help you build a solid claim for damages. Additionally, they handle all the tedious and sometimes overwhelming tasks for you.
Tasks They Perform From Clients
Car accident claims are heavy with tedious paperwork, and as the injured party, you are responsible for providing all the evidence necessary to prove negligence and damages. When you hire a car crash lawyer, they do all that for you. Some tasks they perform throughout the process include:
- Talking to the insurance companies, so you do not have to battle them while trying to heal from a severe injury
- Investigating your accident to find evidence of negligence
- Gathering information to prove your losses and support your claim for damages
- Protecting your rights and ensuring you do nothing to damage your claim
- Drafting questions to ask the defendant during discovery
- Representing you as the defense questions you during your deposition
- Completing all the necessary paperwork to file your claim or lawsuit
- Helping you decide whether you should file a civil lawsuit
- Providing professional expertise and compassionate understanding as you navigate a challenging process
Your attorney’s position is to represent you, acting in your place during all conversations and negotiations. They have a nuanced understanding of the law and can apply that knowledge to your advantage. For example, on average, car accident victims receive significantly higher settlements with the help of a car accident lawyer.
Types of Auto Accidents They Handle
Car crash is a broad term used to describe many types of accidents with varying elements to consider when applying the law to the case. For example, if your accident involved a pedestrian, proving the pedestrian was at least partially at fault means investigating their actions for proof of a road law violation application specifically to pedestrians. Other types of accidents a car crash attorney handles include those involving:
- Commercial trucks can cause severe damage just by the size of these vehicles compared to a standard passenger car. Additionally, the truck driver is not the only potentially liable party. When determining fault, you have to consider when the truck driver’s employer, the cargo loader, or a third party, such as a mechanic or the truck manufacturer, could be at fault.
- Motorcyclists are at a greater risk for injury than most others on the road. They also have specific laws to follow, and cases involving riders typically have significantly more recoverable damages.
- Bicyclists are also highly vulnerable on the road, making accidents involving them sometimes more complex.
- Rideshare vehicles must follow the same traffic laws as any other vehicle. However, when involved in a crash with a rideshare driver who is at fault, the question of how engaged they were with the app at the time can affect what insurance provider is liable for damages.
A car accident can involve one or many vehicles. Sometimes you have multiple responsible parties, which can further complicate the process. Without a thorough understanding of the laws that apply to these cases, you risk undervaluing your claim and not receiving the compensation you need to fully recover financially.
Can You Still Receive Compensation if You Are Partially At Fault?
Shared fault in a car crash case does not always hinder your ability to collect compensation for damages. This is because the law allows auto accident victims to recover a portion of the value of the total damages based on their fault percentage. The concept is known as the comparative negligence rule or the comparative fault rule.
Comparative Fault Rule
In practice, the comparative fault rule requires the court to evaluate your case to determine what percentages of fault totaling 100% belong to each party involved. Then, they deducted that amount from your award for damages. In a pure comparative fault state, you can be more liable than the other party, but you cannot be entirely at fault to receive compensation. However, most states, such as Massachusetts, follow the modified comparative negligence rule, which allows you to recover damages only if you are less liable than the defendant. Additionally, Massachusetts sets the threshold for liability at 51%, meaning you can be 50% or less at fault. Some states set it at 50%.
How Much Does a Car Crash Lawyer Cost?
If your primary concern when considering hiring a car crash lawyer is that you cannot afford the legal fees, you have no reason to worry. Personal injury attorneys nearly always work on contingency, meaning their pay is contingent on their ability to win your case. They require no upfront fees to act as a representative, so you get the help you need without the added stress of legal fees. Additionally, there is comfort in knowing that a lawyer agreed to take your case. It means they have confidence that they can win.
When Should You Schedule a Free Consultation With a Car Crash Lawyer?
When you can speak to a legal expert at no charge, there is no reason not to call them immediately. Their initial advice is free, and it could potentially change the course of your case for the better. Think about the question you have before calling. You can even write them down. An attorney will tell you if you have a relatively straightforward case and should have no trouble getting the insurance company to pay. You can walk away feeling more at ease about the process and have the information you need to take positive steps toward compensation. If your case is more complex, you likely need a car crash lawyer to handle all the details for you while you focus on your physical and mental recovery.
At Jason Stone Injury Lawyers, our clients are family. We keep our phones line open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so you can feel comfortable knowing someone is always available to help you. We believe in establishing a culture of trust so car accident victims know we have their best interests in mind at all times. Additionally, our Stone Cold Guarantee clearly states that we only get paid when you get a settlement or award. Contact Jason Stone Injury Lawyers at (800) 577-5188 to schedule your free case evaluation and talk to an experienced car crash lawyer about the details of your case today. There’s No Obligation, Just Information (R).