Our bustling city of Somerville, just a few miles north of Boston, is rich in history, culture, and diversity. Did you know that Somerville is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in New England? People from all over the world have settled here, and both newcomers and longtime residents alike will likely tell anyone that their city is the perfect place to live, work, eat, play, and relax.
Overall, Somerville is a densely populated, fun-loving city that thousands of residents are happy to call home. Sadly, though, even our enjoyable city isn’t immune to accidents that cause serious injury or death. The large number of people living in such a small land area has led to some existing dangerous intersections, for example, so car accidents are not uncommon.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident or any other type of personal injury, you may be entitled to financial compensation. The personal injury attorneys at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers focuses on personal injury law. Our experienced Somerville personal injury lawyers have provided legal representation for thousands of Massachusetts residents and helped them recover millions of dollars in damages. Phone Stone today to set up a free case evaluation!
Areas of Personal Injury Law We Can Help With
Jason Stone Injury Lawyers is dedicated exclusively to personal injury claims. We are committed to providing our clients with exceptional customer service by providing open and honest communication with you throughout your case. We also keep ourselves available to answer any questions that you may have.
We have experience handling a variety of personal injury claims, including:
- Car accidents
- Dog bites
- Nursing home abuse
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian injuries
- Defective product
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Bicycle injuries
- Opioid overdose
- Wrongful death
- Truck accident
- MBTA injury
Somerville Bicycle and Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Bicycling is an affordable, convenient, and enjoyable way to get from one place to another. Pedestrians and bicyclists are a common sight on Somerville’s roads, especially during the warm spring and summer months. The city of Somerville and surrounding areas have strived to encourage the use of bicycles as transportation. These efforts include the installation of bike-friendly lanes, bike-share programs, and implementing laws to protect bicyclists.
While there are laws in place to protect pedestrians and bicyclists, accidents that result in serious injury or death still occur. Inman Square is noted to be one of the worst locations in Massachusetts for bike accidents. When a bicyclist is in an accident with a vehicle, the bicyclist typically ends up getting hurt due to the lack of protection a bike offers in comparison with a car.
Common causes of bicycle accidents
Please note the following tips on how to prevent the most common causes of collisions:
- Dooring accidents: This is when a bicyclist runs into a vehicle door that has been opened directly in his or her oncoming path. Dooring accidents often occur in urban areas where heavy traffic forces bicyclists to ride close to parked cars. While the bicyclist may easily be blamed, it is a driver’s responsibility to protect pedestrians by checking surroundings before exiting his or her vehicle.
- Right or left cross accidents: This occurs when a vehicle pulls out of an intersection, parking lot, driveway, or alley to the cyclist’s right or left. In both cases, the cyclist has already passed in front of the motor vehicle, which then strikes the cyclist. Visibility plays a factor in this scenario, so a good way to prevent such an accident is for the cyclist to wear bright or reflective clothing.
- Rear-end accidents: This type of accident typically takes place when a driver is distracted and paying little attention to the road, driving drunk, or following too closely. Headlights, taillights, and reflective clothing will make you more visible to drivers and may save your life.
- Sideswipe accidents: These accidents happen when the driver of the motor vehicle doesn’t give the bicyclist sufficient room while passing. Massachusetts law requires that motor vehicles maintain a safe distance when passing a bicyclist.
Who is liable in a bicycle accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to recover damages for injuries. Liability for your injuries depends on the cause of the accident.
For instance, different parties could be held liable in the following scenarios:
- If the driver of a motor vehicle was to blame, a claim can be filed against their insurance company.
- If a poorly maintained road or debris in the road was the cause of the accident, a lawsuit may be brought against the government agencies responsible for the road’s maintenance or a company that performed work on the area.
- If a part of the bike was the cause of the accident, a claim can be filed against the bicycle manufacturer.
- If a fellow cyclist or pedestrian caused the accident in some way, a suit may be filed against them.
- If a dog or another animal entered the roadway or attacked and caused the cyclist harm, a claim could be filed against the animal’s owner.
Somerville Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers
Slip-and-fall injuries can happen in Somerville while you’re grocery shopping, visiting a neighbor, taking a walk in the park, or just about anywhere. These accidents can cause severe injuries, leaving the victim unable to work, stuck watching medical bills piling up. If you have sustained injuries due to a slip-and-fall accident on someone’s property, the property owner may be held liable.
Liability of property owners
Property owners are required to keep their properties maintained and free of hazards. Legally, this is their “duty of care” to you and any other property visitors. Hallways, sidewalks, and parking lots should be well lit and free of obstacles. Inspections and maintenance should be done on cracks, potholes, and other areas of disrepair. Sidewalks should be kept free of ice, snow, and debris.
How to prove liability in a slip-and-fall accident
After your slip-and-fall accident, the Somerville personal injury lawyers at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers can assess your injuries and aid you in determining whether the property owner was negligent.
In order for your case to be successful, we must be able to prove one of the following:
- The property owner or employee knew about the hazard and failed to correct it.
- The property owner or employee should have known about the hazard and didn’t do anything to try to correct it.
- The property owner or employee caused the spill, damaged floor, or other hazard and failed to remedy the situation.
Somerville Car Accident Lawyers
If you have driven in Somerville recently, you would probably agree that traffic is a problem. The increase in traffic congestion has led to an increase in accidents. In 2019, we had three fatal car crashes in Somerville, whereas the previous few years had seen none. An increase was also seen in the number of accidents that resulted in serious injury.
Usually, car accidents are completely preventable. All too often, these accidents are the result of the driver behaving in a careless or reckless manner. Texting while driving, speeding, and driving while intoxicated are common causes of car accidents. Even if you are a safe driver, you can be a victim of someone else’s negligence.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, you have likely realized how expensive, time-consuming, and challenging it can be to get back on your feet and back behind the wheel. The legal team at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers has handled thousands of car accident cases and are fully equipped to help you during this difficult time. We will talk to law enforcement officials, work with medical providers, and negotiate with involved insurance companies on your behalf.
Phone Our Somerville Personal Injury Lawyers Today
At Jason Stone Injury Lawyers, we realize that injuries are never planned. They completely disrupt people’s lives and leave them with medical bills, loss of income, stress, and anxiety. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in an accident, the legal team at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers wants to help you. We can get you through the days and weeks after your accident by offering emotional support and working to secure your financial compensation.
The legal team at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers believes that being open and honest with our clients is crucial. During your initial consultation, we will sit down and carefully listen as you explain the details of your accident. After taking your case, we will continue to keep the lines of communication open to you, updating you regularly on what is happening with your case.
Contact us today to schedule your free case consultation. At Jason Stone Injury Lawyers, we care about the residents of Somerville and will do everything in our power to get you top financial compensation after your accident. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we don’t get paid until you do. If you want to be confident that everything that should be included in your settlement is included in your settlement, you Better Phone Stone® today and discuss your case with our Somerville personal injury lawyers!