- Each year in the United States, one of every three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall.
- For people aged 65-84, falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death.
- Every year more than a million people go to the emergency room for slip and fall accidents.
- Over 17,000 people die in the U.S. annually because of slip and fall injuries.
- Fractures occur in 5% of all people who fall.
- Over 60% of nursing homes residents will fall each year.
- Falls are the leading cause of brain injury.
- Medical bills for slip and fall injuries are over $34 billion each year.
How to Prevent Slip & Fall Accidents:
- Place a “wet floor” warning sign where it is needed
- Put ice melt on icy driveways and walkways, so no one slips
- Wear proper shoes
- Replace worn out flooring
- Use moisture-absorbent mats
- Install proper lighting inside and outside
- Keep walkways free of clutter and obstacles
- Don’t use your cellphone while walking
- Keep electrical and phone cords out of traffic areas
- Install handrails on stairways