mobile header spacer
Get your FREE Immediate Case Evaluation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get your FREE Immediate Case Evaluation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Auto Accident FAQ

  1. What do I do if the driver who hit me doesn’t have insurance?
    In Massachusetts, the standard automobile insurance policy contains a provision called Uninsured Motorist Protection.As long as you have a motor vehicle insurance policy of your own, a household member (a person with whom you reside that is related by blood, marriage, or adoption) has a motor vehicle insurance policy, or you were occupying a vehicle with someone that has a motor vehicle insurance policy, your medical bills will be paid, and you should be able to make a claim for compensation for your pain and suffering.
  2. Who pays for my medical expenses and lost wages?
    In Massachusetts, the standard insurance policy has a provision called Personal Injury Protection—also known as “PIP.” Many people have $8,000 in available coverage, which means that the insurance company will pay up to $8,000 in combined medical expenses and lost wages. PIP is also referred to as “No-Fault” because PIP benefits can be paid to you even if you caused the collision. Usually, the insurance policy for the vehicle that you were occupying will provide the coverage, and it will not increase the premiums of the policy owner. Behind the scenes, the insurance company providing the PIP benefits will seek payment from the insurance company that insures the at-fault vehicle.Under current state law, if you have private health insurance, PIP will only cover $2,000, and your health insurance will cover the rest of your expenses. It’s important to comply with the conditions of your private health insurance to make sure that your treatment is covered. A Boston car accident lawyer from Jason Stone Injury Lawyers can help you coordinate your insurance benefits so you don’t end up with outstanding medical bills.
  3. Who pays to fix the damage to my automobile?
    If the accident is determined to be the other driver’s fault, and you have full coverage through your own insurance policy, you can elect to have either the insurance company for the vehicle that caused the accident pay for the damage, or your own insurance policy can pay. If you don’t have full coverage, then you must make a claim through the other driver’s insurance, but the other driver’s insurance will only pay for your property damage if the evidence shows that the other driver is at fault. If who is at fault for the accident is in dispute, one of the Boston personal injury lawyers at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers can fight the insurance company to prove you are not at fault and the other driver is.
  4. What do I do if I’m in a car accident?
    There are a few steps you can take after a car accident to protect your health and rights to compensation:

    • Call the Police.
      If you’re involved in an accident, you should contact the police immediately. They can help move damaged vehicles out of the path of traffic, ensure the safety of yourself and other drivers in the area, and file a police report of your accident. This report can be an important source of information and help prove the other driver’s negligence.
    • Gather evidence and get contact information.
      If you’re able, take pictures of the vehicles, roadway, and surrounding environment while at the scene of the accident. Get phone numbers and email addresses of other drivers involved in the accident as well as any witnesses. As soon as you are able, take pictures of any injuries you suffered.
    • Get medical attention.
      In addition to obvious injuries like lacerations, you may have internal injuries or injuries that don’t manifest immediately. Seeing a doctor can help identify all the injuries you’ve suffered, and your medical report can serve as valuable evidence for your claim.
    • Get a lawyer.
      The sooner you call a lawyer at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers, the sooner we can start building your claim. An early start can mean more money for you in the long run.

    Don’t delay after your car accident. Give us a call at (800) 577-5188 or complete our free online form. We’re here to help you get your life back after the accident.

  5. When the police arrive at the scene of the accident, is it ok for me to talk to them?
    Yes. It’s important that you cooperate with the police when they arrive and comply with their requests, such as moving your vehicle to the side of the road. You should also ask a police officer for a copy of his or her accident report. Your attorney can use the report when working on your case.
  6. Should I notify my insurance company of the accident?
    Yes. You should call your insurance company after the accident and tell them what happened. Keep the conversation short and truthful, but never volunteer information that might imply you were at fault. The insurance company can twist your words and disqualify you from receiving a settlement. If you prefer, one of the attorneys at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers can call and report the accident to your insurance company for you to ensure that nothing you say can be manipulated by the insurance company to make it appear that you were at fault for the crash.
  7. What do I do if the other driver’s insurance company contacts me?
    You are not required to talk to the other driver’s insurance company. In fact, it’s the adjuster’s job to pay you as little as possible, so the less you say to him or her, the better. Let an experienced lawyer from Jason Stone Injury Lawyers talk to the insurance company on your behalf instead.
  8. I feel fine. Should I still see a doctor after my car accident?
    Yes. Many auto accident injuries aren’t obvious right away. You may have internal injuries that damage your organs. The symptoms of these injuries can take weeks or even months to appear and may cause serious complications if left untreated.
  9. Can I get reimbursed for the time that I’ve had to take off work because of my car wreck injuries?
    Yes. If you were too hurt to work after your car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your lost wages. Through the PIP portion of the insurance policy, if you have a note from a doctor stating that you need to remain out of work, as well as verification of your employment, you may be able to receive 75 percent of your wages. You will likely receive the remaining 25 percent of your wages at the time your case is successfully resolved.
  10. How soon after the accident should I get a lawyer?
    Call a lawyer right away after the accident. Evidence from the crash scene can disappear fast, and our legal team needs time to collect it and reconstruct the accident scene and identify the conditions that caused the crash. Additionally, insurance companies will contact you immediately after an accident. You should have an attorney protecting your rights before you discuss anything with any insurance company.
  11. What photographs and other documentation will be helpful to my attorney in pursuing my claim?
    Pictures of your car before and after the accident, as well as photos of the accident scene, can help the attorneys at Jason Stone Injury Lawyers determine the cause of the accident and the amount of damages you incurred. Your medical report from a doctor and the accident report from a police officer can also help prove the extent of your injuries and property damage. Photographs of any visible injuries, including bruising and scarring, also help portray the magnitude of your injuries.
  12. What’s my case worth?
    The value of your case depends on several factors, including:

    • The total cost of your medical bills
    • How much your injuries affect your daily life
    • How long your injuries impact your daily life
    • Your lost wages due to missed time at work
    • Emotional and physical suffering

    At Jason Stone Injury Lawyers, we know how to calculate the full value of your claim, and we’ll do everything we can to get you as much money as possible, as quickly as possible. Contact us today.

Get your FREE Immediate Case Evaluation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.